I don’t know if this update qualifies as a “milestone” or not, but I finally finished and installed the wiring harness for the right side console!

The adventure started this morning with the construction of the wiring harness for the recently finished TEWS panel.  This consisted of cutting, stripping and adding pins & sockets to the 22 wires that are used by the TEWS panel.

Weapons of choice...

Weapons of choice…

Read more

TEWS panel rebuild is done…


Wow.  It’s been a while since I’ve posted an update!  Since the last update, I’ve nearly finished the re-wire job for the right side console.  I was fortunate enough to get a pile of brand new canon plugs and matching pins.  This is allowing me to re-wire the cockpit using the original bulkhead connections, which makes for  a much neater build!  In order to build the wiring harness, I’ve had to build it out panel by panel.  With the completion of the TEWS panel, the wiring harness will be completed.  The only thing missing will be the CMD panel that controls how the chaff & flare dispensers behave.  I’ve never been able to get a photo of that panel, so I’m going to hold off until I do and can make a new one from scratch.

The navigation control panel is going to be a stand-alone, USB interfaced device due to its complexity.  That should be an interesting rebuild.

I started the TEWS panel rebuild nearly 3 years ago, which is kind of embarrassing.  In my defense, I DO have a lot going on.  There’s good reasons it’s been 15 years since this project started. 🙂

When I first wrote about the TEWS panel, I pointed out that I needed to replace the two destroyed Korry “FAIL” indicators that the panel had.  I decided to go a different route than the Korry replacement I built for the IFF panel.

Read more